My second attempt at a bench with storage, you can read about my first one here. It is built from 2×12’s and 1×6’s. I used thinner stock for the rails this time in order to maximize the inside width. Width was important because this was originally to be a piano bench for my wife. Therefore it needed to have enough room for the large music books she has. However, this bench was deemed too long and heavy and is now on our back porch housing some random items.
The corners are pegged with dowels, there are 2 different sizes per corner because they are what I had on hand. I really like the contrast in color between the dowels and the rails. The rails themselves turned out quite pretty in my opinion, the shades in the grain are my favorite aspect of them.
The lid on this bench is attached with some basic utility hinges I had on hand. A couple of “I” screws with some hemp cord is a simple solution to keeping the lid from flopping back too far. I put a 45 degree chamfer on the lip of the lid to provide a finger hold for lifting it. The lid is painted with a miss-tint from my local Ace Hardware, I bought a quart for $3. The rest is finished with boiled linseed oil and then a few coats of a 50/50 clear Shellac and denatured alcohol mix.
The total length of this bench is four feet, the width is one foot, and the height is 18 inches. The storage compartment is three feet and nine inches long, 10 inches wide, and four inches deep. The bottom of the storage compartment is made from a piece of hardboard I had kicking around my shop. Since hardboard isn’t susceptible to seasonal expansion I decided on dadoes for securing the bottom within the legs and rails. I then added a cross-piece to the inside of the compartment to add extra support for the hardboard bottom.
I decided on a more minimalist design for the legs, cutting just a small triangle out of them. This was easy to do and also leaves more material on either side to form larger “feet”. My hope is that this design will better resist twisting or warping as time passes and seasons change.
This build was a lot of fun and wasn’t too difficult as long as I took my time. This is by far my favorite bench I have made and I am in the process of designing another one. The overall design is borrowed and modified from the homesteadcraftsman on YouTube.
Thanks for taking a look! If you have any comments, questions, or advice feel free to share them in the comment section below. I read every comment and would love to get some feedback.